The Office of Planning, Design & Construction’s mission is to provide innovative, holistic, and integrated management oversight for all campus construction projects to support the College’s goals for academics, sustainability, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
These interrelated goals further reflect our department’s mission:
- Strive to create a department culture where all ideas and contributions are valued no matter how or from whom they may originate.
- Develop projects utilizing the College’s design standards with design and project management approaches that foster creative and forward-thinking solutions.
- Successfully manage project budgets and schedules to achieve results cost-effectively and expediently.
- Work collaboratively with building committees and the Design Review Committee to not only assure that Williams’ architecture is high quality and contextually appropriate but that the identity or unique characteristics of the building or space create meaning for the occupants.
- Encourage the adaptive reuse of our older buildings as a way to preserve the rich history of our past and reduce the demand for environmentally costly new building materials and decrease the amount of waste dumped in landfills.
- For a more comprehensive list of our goals, please see the PDC Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Plan.
The Planning Design & Construction Group is committed to:
- Providing high level customer service which fosters a cooperative and productive relationship with members of the Williams College community, town and state officials.
- Educating and advising customers.
- Creative problem solving to meet the competing needs of the end-users, campus finances, and campus community.
- Consistent application of building codes, campus standards, and state regulations.
- Responsiveness to users’ expectations.
- Fostering a creative solution oriented attitude.
- Performing all services in a manner which minimizes risk, loss, and liability to the College.
- Establishing clear architectural, landscape, and physical planning and design principles, while maintaining and improving the aesthetic, environmental, and educational qualities of the campus.