Named for John Quincy Adams, 1941
1000 Main Street
About the AMT
The Adams Memorial Theatre, dedicated in 1941, was made possible by a then-anonymous gift from the daughter of one John Quincy Adams of Hopkinton, MA for whom the theater is named. While the need for an adequate college theater may have been apparent to Williams’ President James Phinney Baxter III ’14 at the time, he may not have foreseen fully the widespread name it would make for itself as the home of the Williamstown Theatre Festival during the summer months while the College was not in session. In 2005, the AMT was completely renovated and became part of the ’62 Center for Theatre and Dance.
Major Construction History
|1941||Architect: Hoyle, Cram and Ferguson
Technical Advisor: Stanley McCandless (Yale School of Drama)
|1983||Down stage addition
Architect: Cambridge Seven Associates, Inc.
Remove Downstage – 4,900 sq. ft.
Architect: William Rawn Associates
General Contractor: Barr & Barr