Named for Arnold Bernhard, Class of 1925
54 Chapin Hall Drive
22,520 Sq. Ft.
The Bernhard Music Center, completed in 1979, contains two classrooms equipped with multimedia technology as well as well-maintained Steinway grand pianos, 23 practice rooms, 10 faculty offices, and concert and rehearsal spaces. Wireless internet connection is available in most parts of the building. Numerous concerts take place year round in the 279-seat Brooks-Rogers Recital Hall, along with all-college lectures, classes, and other events.
The lower level holds faculty offices, Artists Studio, departmental administrative, and classrooms. Presser Choral Hall, Brooks-Rogers Recital Hall, and Shainman Rehearsal Hall are located on the upper level. The Music Technology Lab contains nine workstations with a variety of music software including Finale, Peak, Digital Performer, Protools, Kontakt, Reason, Max/MSP, Csound, and Super Collider. The Music Technology Studio is for advanced tutorials and thesis work. It contains appropriate hardware and software for use in specific courses, special projects, and composition, including composition theses.
Major Construction History
|1978||Construction, Phase II
Architect: Cambridge Seven Associates, Inc.
|1978||Furniture and equipment||$250,000|
|2008||Music Department master planning||$150,000|