Named in memory of Mark Hopkins, Class of 1824,
and President of Williams College 1836-72
880 Main Street
43,700 Sq. Ft.
About Hopkins Hall
Based on the Romanesque style of H.H. Richardson, Hopkins was built as a memorial to Mark Hopkins (d. 1887). Built in 1897, Hopkins was gutted to the shell and completely renovated in 1988 with an addition on the north end.
Hopkins houses the main administrative offices of the college. These include the President, Provost, Dean of the College, Dean of the Faculty, VPs for Strategic Planning & Institutional Diversity, Student Life, and Finance, as well as the Controller and Registrar and the offices of Trust & Estate Administration, Financial Aid, Communications, and Campus Safety & Security.
Major Construction History
Architect: Francis Allen & Kenway (Boston)
Designed by: Peter P. Welanetz, PE
|1967||Steam tunnel to Stetson Library
Engineer: Lockwood Greene Co.
floor & wall removal; new addition
Architect: Architectural Resources Cambridge, Inc.
General Contractor: Barry Bette and Led Duke
|1993||Hopkins/Sawyer: air conditioning||$745,942|