Named for Benjamin F. Mather
66 Stetson Court
4,782 Sq. Ft.
About Mather House
Mather House is named for Benjamin F. Mather, born in 1810, the son of a Pownal, VT hatter. He became Williamstown’s principal merchant before his death in 1888. Mather was built in 1840 and served as both home and store for the Mather family. Williams College purchased the property in 1956. It has served as a faculty residence, an Honors Work Center and headquarters for Phi Beta Kappa. From 1971 to 2001 it was the home of the Admission Office.
The building has undergone several alterations and been moved several times. It once stood at the corner of Park and Main Streets and was moved to make way for the Faculty House/Alumni Center. In 2002, it was moved to it’s current location on Stetson Court to make room for the ’62 Center for Theatre and Dance. Mather currently houses the Experiential Education Office, the Academic Program Coordinator and the Spouse/Partner Employment Counselor.
Major Construction History
Architects: William Gass and Peter P. Welanetz, PE
|1971||Converted to Admission Office|
Architect: David J. Westall, R.A.
|2002||Relocation to Stetson Ct and renovations
Architect: Thomas Bartels
General Contractor: Renau