Named for John Edward Sawyer, Class of 1939
President of Williams College, 1961-73
40 Chapin Hall Drive
97,250 Sq. Ft.
Built in 1975, Sawyer Library is named for John Edward Sawyer ’39, the 11th President of Williams. He was associate professor of economics at Yale from 1953-1961. A Trustee of Williams while still at Yale, Sawyer was named to the presidency of Williams in 1961. He found time in his 12-year administration to accomplish much for the College, approaching the job as a quiet conservative who was very much aware of the inevitable changes that awaited. Abolishing fraternities, admitting women, and recognizing and accommodating minority students were giant moves which had been gathering momentum since mid-century at Williams. Sawyer faced these issues with disarming cool-headedness and understanding, avoiding the upset which shook many campuses. Sawyer resigned after 12 years, in 1973, leaving behind an appreciative group of Trustees, faculty, students and alumni, and a legacy of outstanding collegiate achievement.
Major Construction History
Architect: Harry Weese and Associates
Designer: Jonathan Cutler
Fabricator: Soheil Mosun, Inc. (Canada)
|Renovate lower level
Architect: Ben Weese
Architect: Weese Langley Weese
|1992||Wiring for computerized catalogue system||$67,471|
|1993||Sawyer/Hopkins air conditioning||$745,942|
|1995-96||Sitework – Baxter, Chapin, Sawyer
Architect: Carol R. Johnson Associates, Inc.