Named for West Township
931 Main Street
16,296 Sq. Ft.
About West College
In his last will and testament (1755), Col. Ephraim Williams stipulated that funds not otherwise distributed “Shall be Appropriated towards the Support and maintenance of a free School (in a township west of fort Massachusetts, Commonly Called the west township) for Ever.” West College honors the original name of the town.
Built in 1790, West College is the oldest building on the Williams campus. At one time providing living quarters, a dining hall, a library, and a chapel for all of its students, West College now serves as a quiet haven in the middle of campus. Although the interior has been reconstructed due to fire and various renovations, the shell of the building is original.
A favorite spot for seniors who like quiet space, West has 36 single and nine double rooms, hardwood floors, a full kitchen, and a large living room. West is part of the Spencer Neighborhood.
Major Construction History
|1855||Remodeled: central door removed, north and south doors added|
|1904||Remodeled: north door removed|
|1952||Rebuilt (burned Jan. 2, 1951)
Architect: Perry, Shaw, Hepburn, Kehoe and Dean
|1999||Renovation and refurbishment
Architect: Primary Group